The other day I was having SUCH a craving for cheese it wasn’t even funny. And specifically, Mexican queso fundido. My lord that stuff is amazing, and not to mention addicting! So instead of going right out to the nearest Baja Fresh, I buckled down, determined to ride out the craving. And then I realized, why deprive myself? Especially when I’ve been meaning to try to make Chili con Queso using my basic cheeze recipe!
So off I went to the kitchen and gave it a shot, and man oh man. This stuff is heavenly. My meat-eating, vegan cheese-loathing husband even liked it. As in, didn’t just try a bite. He actually ate a bunch of it himself and declared that it tasted “real!” (I think it’s hilarious that he somehow doesn’t consider vegan food “real food.”) So here it is, in all its cheezy, gooey, pretend-meaty, chili-y glory. Just make sure you have enough tortilla chips – all I can say is you won’t want to stop eating this!
Vegan Chili con Queso dip with
1 batch Basic Cheeze dip
3/4 cup vegan chili beans
1/4 cup salsa
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix Basic Cheeze dip with chili beans and salsa.
Place in ramekin or other oven-safe dish and bake until browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- ½ cup grated vegan cheddar, such as Daiya
- 1 link vegan chorizo, or about ¾ – 1 cup
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup Wayfare Hickory Cheddar Spread (or sub vegan cream cheese + 1 tsp liquid smoke)
- 3 Tbs vegan sour cream, such as Tofutti
- 1 Tbs hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- ¾ cup vegan chili beans, canned
- ¼ cup salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown/heat chorizo in a skillet if desired (vegan chorizo is not raw – it simply needs to be heated).
- Place chorizo in a large mixing bowl. Add shredded cheese, Wayfare (or cream cheese), sour cream, hot sauce, onions, chili beans, and salsa. Mix well.
- Place in ramekin or other oven-safe dish and bake until browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
What’s your favorite vegan dip recipe?